Last summer we traveled to the Rockies and this year we decided to stay in California and visit the eastern side of the Sierras and Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. I made reservations as soon as the window opened, and also made reservations for Humboldt Redwoods SP to start off the trip with family. Well we all know how that went- as everything due to COVID 19 was cancelled and closed, and refunds were made. Then it all opened up again with limitations, stress and challenges. Moving forward, plans were shifted but there was a plan and reservations were again secured with compromises. We had sheltered in place since March 17 and after venturing out June 16 we were ready to camp again, this time with family and friends. Leaving on July 6th after a family 4th of July at home, we headed to Humboldt Redwoods SP. We arrived around 5 pm on Monday, set up camp, hugged the family and relaxed for the next 4 nights in one site and two nights campsite hopping. We felt so nicely isolated here, but knew after the 4th of July, and with places opening up on a limited basis, everyone would want to be outside and recreating.
After the family left we decided to stay two more nights and were able to do that by leaving the campground and dropping our Airstream in the day use area. After 5 we could come back in and take an overflow site if they were empty. Had to play the game to stay. One day we drove the Lost Coast Road, and the second day we hiked.
Next up was out journey towards the east side of the Sierras. No reservations so mostly one night only places. Hookups were a must as it was in the 100’s during our journey through the valley.
When we crossed over the Sierra’s, we were both taken with it’s beauty. We tried numerous places to camp but they were all full with reservations. Finally we found Upper Honeymoon Flat Campground -first come first serve. We decided to stay two nights and explore the area. This area is just outside of Bridgeport.
We should have stayed another night in Honeymoon. As we traveled south it got busier and busier. Going into Mammoth was a huge mistake looking for a campsite. We drove up to the Lake Mary area and it was packed with wall to wall cars and campers. I even had to stop traffic so we could cross over the bridge to get back.
One more day before Sequoia/Kings Canyon Reservations start. I called to see if we can get a reservation at the Sequoia RV Park and they have a night available. Originally our plans were to go to the national park in the beginning of our trip, but they didn’t open until after we had started, so we had to reverse our direction. Consequently, as everything was opening up and camping was limited, it was busy especially in the southern part of the state.