Oregon Unmasked 2021

For many years it has been important to get away when school ends so that the summer break can be maximized. This year is different, as the summer break isn’t going to end, well summer will, but not the break. After the last two years and many years of teaching it was time to move on to new adventures. We wanted to start out the trip, once again going up the coast of Oregon and then home for the 4th of July. Made reservations for most spots however we decided to take out chances with others. Had I to do it over again- reservations only, as this summer they are needed everywhere except first come first serve which are a bit scarce.

Washing the Cloud after 6 months of non-use.

It was a long drive to get to Harris Beach, however the weather was perfect with hardly any wind!

We had a day late start due to our Airstream needing some work on the valve related to the grey water tank, which was a bit daunting until we found a place an hour away that could fix it in a timely manner. Also put on new tires that took a half day. A day late then we were off! So excitingly excited as it had been six months since we have been Airstreaming- the longest in a great while! And to further complicate matters, neighbors informed us of road work with timed pilot cars on Highway 1, so we made sure to make it to the slide area south of Crescent City by a specific time. We then hit more road work and after 6 hours settled into our site. Beautiful day at Harris Beach SP and a gorgeous sunset!

So many out for the sunset on a perfect day!

John did not want to take off his shoes and took the long way around on the north side of the beach.

Wednesday, after relaxing and walking north on the beach, we drove up to Gold Beach to look at campgrounds and settled on Huntley Campground that didn’t take reservations for Thursday and Friday night. We also made reservations for a jet boat ride for Friday.

We had a peekaboo look at the coast from our site, and a lot of activity in the back at the playground.

I love to hit the low tide to see the colors especially regarding starfish.

So many pelicans, cormorant and gulls!

Finally a picture of us.

Thursday, we had the pick at Huntley, such a gem of a spot and settled into the site, walked around the beach area and watched the river go by. In the morning we went into Gold Beach and took the historic mail route jet boat ride through Jerry’s Rogue Jet. This was a fun 32-mile ride up to the town of Agness where we also had lunch. Saw Ospreys, Eagles, and deer, and we had a very engaging tour operator.

Huntley is old-school, no hookups, no dump station just water and beautiful grounds.

We had our pick of the campground, but by the next day it was starting to fill for Father’s Day weekend.

Jerry’s Rogue Jet was a cooling blast at 64 miles round trip and lunch too!

Saw some epic nests on the river.

Saturday, we left for Sunset Bay State Park, outside of Coos Bay where we had reservations for two nights. The weather was perfect and once we got settled, we took a walk to the beach and then continued to hike up on the bluffs. At one point in our walk, we saw the Cape Arago Lighthouse. Sunday, we woke up to drippy foggy weather. Attempting to see the area, the views were gray and wet. Visiting the Shore Acres area and walking through the gardens were a highlight regardless of the weather. After lunch we drove into North Bend, got gas and groceries, drove though Bay Point Landing were we have stayed before and headed back to camp. After a walk through the campground, John joined a game of 4-square with the neighbors.

Last bit of sun for the next 4 days and we enjoyed it. Great campground, very family oriented

Walk from the campground to the beach.

Cape Arago Lighthouse in the far distance on private land.

Sunday the fog came in and it was drippy and windy.

Shore Acres has beautiful rose gardens!

Leaves as big as a tire and as tall as a person!

Monday morning, we headed to Cape Perpetua for three nights, stopping along the way in Reedsport at a favorite place, the Schooners Restaurant. This place has outdoor dining and we discovered it last year during the pandemic on our way down the coast. Our favorite site at the cape is un-reservable and luckily was open when we arrived. After a little discussion, we asked the camp host to change, and he graciously said of course and even hooked us up with water to fil our tank instead of using a water thief. One of the nicest camp hosts ever we felt as he wanted a accommodate, we noticed, everyone within reason. We love the cape campground for the views, hikes, and bike riding and now the camp host. Once we set up camp, we hiked up to the visitor center only to find it again closed, but still with open wifi. Tuesday, John did his bike ride and I cleaned the Airstream, then we took the truck down to Neptune SB hoping for sun, instead we walked the beach and took in the views. Wednesday, we walked up to the visitors center and then took the trail south to Spouting Horn, and Thor’s Well and north to Devil’s Churn.  After lunch we drove into Yachats and walked around, drove a tiny bit north and took the trail around the Gerdemann Botanic Preserve and the Ya’Xaik Trail.

Schooners Restaurant in Reedsport has fabulous views and good food.

Best site for now!

Clean vibes!

The Cummings Creek Bridge at Neptune SB.

Spouting Horn

Thor’s Well

Devil’s Churn

Yachats River mouth.

We should have stayed another day at the cape, as the temps were unprecedented for inland Oregon where we had reservations the following day and everyone was heading for the coast, but we had decided to go without reservations to Waldport for the night. When we arrived at McKinley RV Park, where we had stayed on the lawn before without a reservation, we found it full at 10 am in the morning! We then drove to the KOA and managed to get the last overfull site #10. WHEW! After setting up, we hiked to the beach and watched the boaters and kayakers crabbing. We hit the store, got gas, and relaxed in the sun, out of the wind next to the trailer.
The drive up the Alsea River is beautiful and as we headed to Alsea Falls BLM campground we talked about coming back and camping at the two campgrounds we saw as they were along the river. It was hot at the campground and no hookups, so all the windows were opened in the high 80 degree weather. It was a welcome temp after the 60’ on the coast. By 3:30 we took our lawn chairs down to the river where we joined other campers doing the same to read and drink a cool beverage. After dinner we sat outside and used our bird caller to finally get a vision of the Swainson’s Thrush, my favorite call! Around noon the next morning we hiked to the falls, saw a few people, an interesting caterpillar and many beetles. Because it was so hot we came back to camp, had lunch and took our lawn chairs back to the creek.
Sunday was get away day and we headed east to camp at Rogue Valley SP where I had made a reservation earlier in the week. It was hot, and our truck temp said 114 when we got to Rogue Valley SP. The place was almost full, and of course our site was in the sun close to a shade tree and we sat in our truck for a bit so the AC would cool our 100 degree inside down. Still waiting we went into Rogue River and had dinner at Tarasco, a Mexican restaurant. When we came back our trailer was a cool 76 degrees!
It was a nice early morning and by the time we arrived at Hornbrook (9:36) where the ag station was it 100 degrees. We were home after 14 days by 1:00 to start getting ready for the 12 that were coming for the 4th of July.